Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sleeve Tutorial

I liked the Mock Wrap top that I made here, so much that I wanted to have another with sleeves.
So here is my tutorial for making sleeves.
First you will take your fabric (I used knit for this top) and fold it.  You will be cutting the sleeve on the fold.


Use a shirt that you like the fit of.  Lie it on the fabric with the top of the sleeve on the fold, cut around the shape of the arm (make sure you leave a seam allowance, mine was about an inch)
I wanted a cuff on my sleeve so I added it now
Pin the cuff to the right side of the sleeve and stitch using a zig-zag stitch (I used a zig-zag because of the knit fabric, otherwise you would use a straight stitch.)
This is how the cuff should look like, this is pinned not sewed yet.

 
With the wrong sides together sew the bottom seam of the sleeve, down to the end of the cuff.
This is what it should look like inside out.
Here it is right side out.
Pin the right side of the sleeve to the right side of the arm hole, matching the bottom seam with the seam on the side of the shirt.
Turn your shirt right side out and try your new masterpiece on!
Enjoy




No comments:

Post a Comment